Snapchat grew in popularity over the past 2-3 years and has proven to be the best way to reach 13-34 year olds. However, many brands have yet to integrate this (fairly) new tactic into their marketing strategy. Most of the time, companies think to themselves, “Is this really the best way to reach my target audience?” Which is a great question to ask, of course. What many marketers haven’t realized yet is, Snapchat isn’t just a platform to conduct a few “marketing experiments.” It is a widely used platform that users are excited about because they can view specialized content in real time. You can read more about this marketing trend and consumer behavior here.
There are several perks to including Snapchat in your social strategy. I have summarized my top five benefits below.
- You want Millennials? Snapchat’s got ’em. As I mentioned above, Snapchat is the best way to reach the millennial audience (consumers ages 13-34). The number of daily users is right around 100 million which is still substantially less than Facebook, but this number is only rising and at a fairly steady pace. Since marketers are constantly on the lookout for new ways to reach millennials, this should be their number one, first-step approach to a strategy focused on targeting that particular audience.
2. Users are engaged with the content on Snapchat. Several marketers feel as though their video content on Snapchat isn’t as valuable as if it were displayed on other platforms because of the time limit. The content essentially disappears after a user views it. However, this is not the case at all. Users understand that the life of a snap is short and lacks permanence. This fact makes them even more engaged with the content you put out there, which makes your video content stand out from others on YouTube and other social channels that may get lost in the clutter.
3. Real-time marketing is key. Consumers in today’s market, especially millennials, long for content displayed in real time. Brands are constantly searching for the best ways to deliver integrated campaigns that make their customers feel connected. One of the best ways to accomplish this is by offering exclusive content that has an expiration.
4. Provides a behind the scenes look into your business. Snapchat provides a great tool for employees to snap their stories together to create a unique perspective into the company that most consumers long for. Thus, growing the relationships with your customers and improving brand equity.
5. Stand out from other brands. Although companies are quickly catching on to this trend, there are still few that are utilizing this tactic to reach millennial consumers. Grasp the attention of this audience by doing something different and out-of-the-box. Start snapping now to stand out in the ad clutter.
In addition to the benefits listed above, Likeable Media posted an excellent Snapchat guide for marketers. Check it out for more in-depth ideas and tips on how to get started.